Here are some fun ideas to celebrate Halloween in the Bay area:
Bay Area Discovery Museum (Sausalito) - Annual Goblin Jamboree
Come in costume, and see the museum transformed into a haunted wonderland complete with games, attractions, and live entertainment. Enroll in the witches' school, take a train or pony ride, visit the petting zoo andenjoy a full brew of games, activities and live entertainment.
When: Saturday, October 17 & Sunday, October 18, 2009
Time: 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Where: Bay Area Discovery Museum (Fort Baker, 557 McReynolds Road, Sausalito
Tickets: available at the door. All activities are included. Members $12; General $14. Children under age 1 are free.
Trick or Treat at the SPCA - East Bay
Sunday, October 25, 2009, 3 pm – 5 pm
East Bay SPCA, Tri-Valley
4651 Gleason Drive, Dublin
Saturday, October 31, 2009, 3 pm – 5 pm
East Bay SPCA, Oakland
8323 Baldwin Street, Oakland
These SPCA Trick or Treating events are geared toward grade school-aged children accompanied by an adult (but all ages are welcome).
More info: call (510) 569-0702 or (925) 479-9670 or check the website
Michael's Arts and Crafts - two mostly free craft events
Sunday, October 25 from 1-3 pm. - buy a t-shirt and decorate it for free using Michael's paint supplies.
Saturday, October 31 from 10 a.m. to noon - come by for a free trick-or-treat pail. Plus they'll hve coloring activities, a free Crayola pencil topper demo using Model Magic Fusion, and a make it/take it Halloween frame. Plus free balloon and candy.
Halloween Haunt at Great America
Through Halloween, on Friday and Saturdays in October (and Sunday, October 25) from 7 p.m. to midnight, you can experience 6 haunted mazes, 4 themed scare zones, 4 head-turning live stage shows, plus the park's rides.
Halloween Haunt is a special ticketed event and requires a separate ticket. Admission to Great America's Halloween Haunt is free for 2009 & 2010 Gold and Platinum Pass holders. Season Pass holders receive discounted admission. Kids must be 13+.
Boo at the Zoo
Dress in costume (but no rubber masks - too scary for the animals). Visitors can watch zookeepers provide the animals with tasty holiday-themed treats, and check out the haunting adventures on the Zoo’s Haunted Nature Trail. Also, visit candy stations throughout the zoo, do take-home crafts, enjoy puppet shows and live entertainment.
When: Saturday and Sunday, October 24-25
Where: SF Zoo
Cost: Free with admission
P.S. The Oakland Zoo has a similar event on October 24-25 and October 31. And kids in costume get a free train ride.
Halloween Trick-or-Treating at Serramonte Center
When: Saturday, October 31st
Time: 1-4 p.m. – Spook Parade and Costume Contest
4-6 p.m. – Trick-or-Treating inside participating stores
Plus, Grandpa Kevin's pumpkin patch in the Target parking lot has bouncy slides, a jump-house and pumpkins for sale.
A member of CityMommy posted this fabulous list of Halloween events. I have not verified any of these.
· Scare on the Square - Redwood City, October 3 & 10
·Pumpkins in the Park - San Jose, October 10
·Western Railway Museum Pumpkin Patch Festival - Suisun, October 10-25
·Haunted Railroad at Ardenwood - Fremont, October 17-25
· Jelly Belly Haunted Swamp - Fairfield, October 21-31
· Ghost Train at Roaring Camp - Felton, October 23-24
· Oktoberfest and Pumpkin Patch at Dunsmuir - Oakland, October 24
· PartyKidz Halloween Family Event - San Francisco, October 24
· Halloween Spooktakular - Redwood City, October 24
· Jackolantern Jamboree at Fairyland - Oakland, October 24-25
· Halloween Cabaret Carnival - Berkeley, October 25
· Gamble Garden Halloween Haunted House - Palo Alto, October 25
· Pumpkin Pandemonium at Pier 39 - San Francisco, October 25
· Halloween Camp Out at Gilroy Gardens - Gilroy, October 30-31
· Halloween Parade - Suisun City, October 31
· Not Too Spooky Halloween at Habitot - Berkeley, October 31
· Gardens Halloween Costume Walk - San Francisco, October 31
· Halloween on the Wharf - Santa Cruz, October 31
· Halloween Stomp with the Timeouts - Sausalito, October 31
· Munchkin Masquerade Parade - Fairfield, October 31
· The Haunted Presidio - San Francisco, October 31
· Halloween Haunted Hangar at Hiller - San Carlos, October 31-November 1