Looking for a way to spend MLK Day 2010 in the San Francisco Bay Area? Here are some options. Please add to the list in the comments section below.
1. Habitot - Berkeley (2025 Kittridge St)
View their Hope & Peace Wall, highlighting Dr. King’s accomplishments and the leaders he inspired. Make Peace Medals in the Art Studio to present to family and friends who have shown great patience and thoughtfulness, or have been helpful in resolving a conflict. Hear stories about Martin Luther King, Jr., in the Multicultural Reading Tent throughout the day.
January 18, 2010 from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Cost $8.50/person
2. January 18th is a Day of Service. Find out about service opportunities here.
3. Hands on Bay Area - volunteer in various locations during their MLK Week of Service, January 16-24. Last year, 175 HOBA volunteers joining in more than 20 projects. Find out about Week of Service projects here, and then Sign up for a project here.
4. Exploratorium - special holiday hours on MLK Day. Open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
5. San Francisco SPCA - holiday camp for kids. Open to 4th-8th graders, kids will learn about animal care and behavior, hands-on interaction with animals, and crafts. 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. with optional aftercare. $90 for basic program
6. Peninsula Jewish Community Center - Join the PJCC for a day of service to honor Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s legacy. They'll do a community service project and learn about Jewish community involvement in the Civil Rights Movement. Bring a lunch to eat during the learning (drinks provided). This program is open to everyone (children must be age 4 or older to particpate). Program will be held at the PJCC. Register here. It's from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Sunday, January 17th.
7. Hiller Aviation Museum - Kids in grades 1-6 can join in the Flight Explorer's Half Day program on January 18th. They'll follow in the footsteps of Wilbur and Orville Wright, by exploring the story of the invention of the airplane. They'll Build and fly a detailed scale model of the Wrights' 1903 Flyer, and enter the Flight Sim Zone to attempt to fly this challenging airplane. To register, call (650) 654-0200, or click here and look for Wright Flight.